Red/Orange/Yellow/Green/Blue…

No, this post isn’t about a rainbow…

I’m writing this on Local Election Day, but you’re reading this just before the General Election. I really wanted to talk about the importance of voting, I believe that our generation has the power to change the political position of this country, if only we leave our cosy homes to put a cross in that box.

I’ve never been one to hide my religious beliefs, and my political beliefs are no different. On the 8th June, I will be happily putting a cross in the box next to Labour. I’m really not happy with the way this country is being run at the moment, and I believe that five more years of Conservative Government could be disastrous. Although I am sceptical about Jeremy Corbyn potentially leading our country, I have decided to vote based on party politics alone – not the personalities of the leaders. Although I don’t 100% support everything that Corbyn says, I believe in far more of Labour’s policies than any other party.

However, the point of this post is not to persuade you to vote Labour (although if you do, happy days!)…

I just want to persuade you to vote!

Whether you have the same political views as me or not, it doesn’t matter! Just go and vote on 8th June. Whether you vote Conservative, Labour, Lib Dems, the Greens, Plaid Cymru, SNP or DUP, our generation needs to stand up and be heard. Our opinions are just as valid as our parents’ and grandparents’, so we should act like it!

We didn’t like the EU referendum result, yet only 36% of 18-24 year olds voted in it. But what about the other 64%? Why didn’t they go out and vote? (If you think you know why, I’d love to know – please leave a comment below!)

So please. Whatever ‘colour team’ you choose on 8th June, do some research, choose a party and give them your vote. Not everyone in the world is as lucky as we are to live in a democracy – we should make the most of it.

Until next time,

474722966523119291216

P.S. If you have no clue who to vote for, check out this link. Although it is from the 2015 General Election so is a little outdated, it covers several of the ‘main issues’ and where each party stands. Party policies for this General Election will probably be available from the official websites of all the parties, so this might also be a useful start to make when researching?

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s